Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pain

Here in the western culture, people associate acupuncture with pain. The benefits of acupuncture when it comes to releasing pain are as follows: muscular pain, arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, nerve pain, headache and so on.
The following is an example. Recently I saw a lady who is 50 years of age. She has suffered with severe shoulder pain for nearly one year. The pain in the shoulder radiated from the shoulder down the arm and then to the fingers. At nighttime her sleep would be affected due to the pain being worse. The mobility in her shoulder was very limited. She had tried physiotherapy and acupuncture in the past unsuccessfully.
When she came to me, I checked her tongue, her pulse and I found that she had Qi and blood deficiency and poor blood circulation. The treatment I gave her was a combination of acupuncture, TDP, cupping and Tuina (Chinese Massage). After two days she came back showing some improvement. She had booked for a third appointment for the next day. It was very clear that she wanted to resolve the problem as soon as possible.
After the third appointment she booked for another appointment. On the day of her fourth appointment she didn’t show up. A week had past and I was wondering how she was doing… I decided to call her. Unfortunately she informed me that after the third treatment she didn’t feel well, and someone had told her that acupuncture might damage nerves. I explained to her that the pain she has been enduring has been for some time now and that the pain was serious, so it do takes at least five treatments. And during treatment course, the disease sometimes goes backward, that’s normal, too. As long as generally it’s improving, that’s fine. She decided to come back for another treatment, and after this treatment fortunately she felt a lot better. The good part was that she did communicate with me how she was feeling and thinking. And as you can see everything turned out great.
Communication within Chinese Medicine is very important. Chinese Medicine is based on the individual. We treat you according to your situation, different people different reaction.As a doctor I always want the best result for my clients. Just to emphasize from before, communication is key.

No comments: